Just how to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
Just how to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank for the letter that is previous apologize for not writing before, one or two questions regarding family or friends. (1 paragraph that is short — Informal letters to strangers: reasons why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the information which you have already been told, express your interest to learn more about what was previously mentioned. Make positive comments, respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with a few questions so the receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 short pragraph ) 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (1 or 2 words) You may use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO START OUT A LETTER • Thank you for your letter. It had been great to hear away from you. How’s your new baby? • thank you for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry We haven’t written for so long. I’ve been really busy lately. And that means you bought a new house! How could it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • plenty of love, • Cheers! Take it easy! • Best wishes, • most of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO END A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, I’ve surely got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and let me know that which you’ve been doing. • I look forward to seeing you soon. Many thanks in advance for the help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you have in mind my country. As the friend said, i want us to email one another to simply help me boost your English. 3. i would ike to start by telling you a little about myself and my family. My name’s Ivo and I also are now living in Kutna Hora, which will be about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to your workplace for a company that is medical now I am learning to be a salesperson. As time goes by I want a job where http://paytowriteessays.net/ I’m able to travel for my work. I have been already to some places in Europe but I have never gone to an English-speaking country. I live at home with my parents, which can be convenient, as I need not do much housework and my meals are cooked in my situation. My younger brother is studying at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we get on quite well. We both enjoy music and snowboarding. 4. think about you? Maybe you have been to the Czech Republic? It will be great if you could come over one day so we could fix up a gathering. Why not inform me your plans? 5. Anyway, I must go and get on with my work! Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it might concern, 2. START A LETTER State the good reason why you may be writing. (1 paragraph that is short 3. BODY Answer the data which you have been told. Give facts about the issue you may be currently talking about. Respond the job references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what do you want to get because of this or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in exchange). Leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (look forward to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) You may NOT use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE given information firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / Last but not least 5. TO FINISH A LETTER I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to try to get the position of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 yrs old as well as the minute I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for more than seven years i will be a speaker that is fluent of language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both French and German. As far as experience is concerned, I have worked as . for . In terms of my personality, people let me know i will be . 4. I feel I would be suitable for this job because I. . This will give me the chance to ….. . I might also just like the opportunity to. 5. I look forward to hearing yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales away from you. 6
11. FCE ESSAY BEFORE STARTING think about a solution towards the Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage your time and effort. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHENEVER YOU FINISH Make sure you have expressed yourself clearly. Look at your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and sophisticated vocabulary Use conditional sentences and all sorts of PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION AT THE END, NOT at the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 about the topic generally speaking. • have a sentence telling your reader whether or not the essay will glance at once or both sides of this issue. • have a question/idea that you simply will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • Start with :: in summary” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a summary of your points that are main. • have a reference towards the question that is originalmake an effort to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • have NO new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people come up with 10-12 words per line. • you must write a complete of 190 words, therefore you should talk about 18 lines in total. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) in summary, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (PROS AND CONS). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE GOAL
16. TASK 3: a. Write the first draft of one’s essay in a bit of paper. (10 min) b. Check your partner’s draft that is first.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you have been discussing technology. Now, your English teacher has asked one to write an essay. Write an essay using all of the notes and give good reasons for your point of view. You have to write your answer in 140-190 words in an style that is appropriate. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes write on: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your own idea